incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Basing Apache releases on releases from incubating projects
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:51:34 GMT
On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Thilo Götz <twgoetz@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 12/1/2010 17:38, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
>>... Hrm, umm, so what's the difference between this, and oh I don't know, some other
library I pick up as a TLP off Google code who claims their source is ASLv2 licensed? I have
no guarantee over there that the license issues are resolved either, yet we do that all the
time over here in Apache?

> The difference is that the incubator code comes from
> Apache, with all the ASF IP due diligence.  If we use
> a third-party library that's under the AL, we mention
> that it's not from Apache.  Our customers can then
> decide for themselves how much they trust that other
> source.  My understanding....

It is common for podlings to import their code here and only then
start cleaning up dependencies that do not comply with ASF
requirements. So if another project release contains unreleased code
from a podling, it might not be clean.

-Bertrand