incubator-general mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Basing Apache releases on releases from incubating projects
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:10:33 GMT
----- Original Message ----

True, but they also don't have the Foundation's corporate umbrella to protect
them over at google code.  When an ASF project releases code, the org accepts
liability for it.  That fact doesn't come for free; people are expected to do
the appropriate due diligence themselves to *earn* that protection.

> But OTOH, it would be nice if we could reward Incubator  podlings for
> choosing to do it the "Apache Way" to begin with by making some  sort
> of easier mechanism for their code to be included in other Apache projects,
> right? After all the discussion about making it easier on podlings,
> I would hope  we are striving to make this the  reality.

What's so hard about the "release early, release often" mantra?  All we
expect is that your releases are legally sound- once you pass that bar
there are really no organizational issues to prevent you from releasing
save for the formal "3 +1's from PMC members" requirement.