incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <>
Subject Re: Basing Apache releases on releases from incubating projects
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:17:20 GMT
Hey Joe,

>> But OTOH, it would be nice if we could reward Incubator  podlings for
>> choosing to do it the "Apache Way" to begin with by making some  sort
>> of easier mechanism for their code to be included in other Apache projects,
>> right? After all the discussion about making it easier on podlings,
>> I would hope  we are striving to make this the  reality.
> What's so hard about the "release early, release often" mantra?  All we
> expect is that your releases are legally sound- once you pass that bar
> there are really no organizational issues to prevent you from releasing
> save for the formal "3 +1's from PMC members" requirement.

True dat. I guess I'm just thinking based on experience from watching podlings (including
my own for a while but also others) it seems that releases don't occur as often as say me
as a dev on some Apache project X that wants to include Incubator podling Y's new feature
Z (ahhh alphabet soup!). I guess arguably if I live in Apache project X and I want that Incubator
podling Y's feature Z, I could go over to that community and start pounding my chest (or better
yet, pick up a shovel and help dig the hole to bury the release in).

I just think it would be nice if it were easier than that.

Not a huge deal though and I'm not the type of person to start a million email thread, so
I'm happy to drop it. I think I can work the process by digging the hole or pounding my chest
to get Podling Y to release (with feature Z) if I absolutely had to, though.

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246

To unsubscribe, e-mail: