incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes - QCG <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Graduation of River
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 18:49:37 GMT
On 12/13/2010 07:05 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> The implementation that resides in com.sun could be renamed into the
>> org.apache.river.impl namespace without causing to much conversion
>> activity with the users of river. I believe there are strong feelings
>> about keeping to the original specifications.
>
> So are you saying that River will work towards eliminating com.sun, but does
> not feel that it needs to be done now?

Whe have queued the rename as the first milestone after the graduation
(also included this in our roadmap).

We are currently working on a release containing the QA harness, and
using the QA harness produced some bugs that are currently worked on by
two committers Peter Firmstone and Patricia Shanahan. IIRC the delayed
rename was specifically requested in order to allow a merge of work
currently in a branch and/or personal workspace.

The rename will disrupt the trunk for some time, and make merging
outstanding branches complicated.

>> I know this is the prerogative of the IPMC to determine this, but your
>> remarks deviate a bit from the consensus formed on river-dev IMHO,
>> should we go back to the drawingboard and discuss your proposal within
>> the PPMC?
>
> Can you clarify?  What remarks deviated from the consenus?  Are you
> referring to the graduation proposal, or just the comments regarding
> com.sun?

An overly cautious response from my side. The consensus was that we
would rename com.sun.jini to org.apache.river.impl. And on first reading
it looked like a rename from com.sun.jini to net.jini was announced. It
wasn't. Apologies.

Gr. Sim