incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes - QCG <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Graduation of River
Date Sun, 12 Dec 2010 17:46:52 GMT
On 12/12/2010 05:59 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> The original intent of the Jini specification was that only the
> net.jini.* namespace was supposed to be used by application built on
> top, but very early this was breached both by recommendation and by
> lack of enforcement. So, at the moment, there are a handful of classes
> in the com.sun.* space which is considered part of the 'official' API,
> or at least recommended as 'work-around' for certain recurring issues
> people have.

> Looking back in history, Jini v1.0 had some classes in com.sun.* which
> in subsequent releases got 'promoted' to net.jini.* namespace, and
> that should be the recommended move forward here too.

It was discussed on river-dev and the idea it got from this was that we
still believe in a separation between specification and implementation.
The implementation that resides in com.sun could be renamed into the
org.apache.river.impl namespace without causing to much conversion
activity with the users of river. I believe there are strong feelings
about keeping to the original specifications. My personal view on this
is that the original specifications should not stand in the way of new
developments, but since this does not block new developments at this
time i have no objections to following the consensus.

I know this is the prerogative of the IPMC to determine this, but your
remarks deviate a bit from the consensus formed on river-dev IMHO,
should we go back to the drawingboard and discuss your proposal within
the PPMC?

Gr. Sim