incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Basing Apache releases on releases from incubating projects
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:56:49 GMT
Hey Joe,

>> Hrm, umm, so  what's the difference between this, and oh I don't know,
>> some other library I  pick up as a TLP off Google code who claims their
>> source is ASLv2 licensed? I  have no guarantee over there that the license
>> issues are resolved either, yet we  do that all the time over here in Apache?
>>
>> So, I don't agree with your  point.
>
> The major issues with liability are always tied up in who releases stuff.  We
> aren't all that liable for code we are redistributing from someone else's
> release.  But we are liable for releasing code that is only being otherwise
> distributed out of our svn repo.
>
> Don't believe the remarks of Niclas and others who live in countries where
> all copyright infringement violators are subject to public stonings.  In the
> US damages are assessed based on how many times and for what purpose those
> infringements are actually done.

I hear ya, and I believe you have way more experience in this particular area than I do. I'm
just saying that it would be nice if we could eat our own dog food in this particular accord,
otherwise, what's the Incubator other than an Apache-branded area of code that's subject to
*even stricter* guises. If you what you say is true, then it would seem to me that projects
would benefit then from going to Google Code first, saying they are ASLv2 over there, and
then being included over here in Apache projects (in source or binary form) -- they wouldn't
be subject to the same scrutiny that our Incubator podlings are.

But OTOH, it would be nice if we could reward Incubator podlings for choosing to do it the
"Apache Way" to begin with by making some sort of easier mechanism for their code to be included
in other Apache projects, right? After all the discussion about making it easier on podlings,
I would hope we are striving to make this the reality.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist