incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] real-time communications
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:13:09 GMT
> The premise of this discussion is that running Apache projects are
> *permitted* to engage in real-time communications, so long as they
> take due care to avoid community problems of exclusion and closed
> decision making.

Did you see Greg's e-mail?

"Just bring a summary of discussion points back to the list, along with any recommendations.
 The list can then sort through it and make decisions."

Decisions are not made except on the mailing lists.  If it starts to seem that people are
being excluded from being an effective part of a decision process, curtail or modify the back-channel
communications.

> We all want strong communities that are inclusive and open. We all recognize that real-time
communications pose risks to that.

+1

FWIW, ApacheDS and Geronimo had (possibly still have) *very* active IRC channels (logged)
where people talked in real-time, just as they might at a Hack-a-Thon.

	--- Noel