incubator-general mailing list archives

From Soren Lassen <so...@google.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Accept Wave for incubation
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2010 03:56:39 GMT
I work for Google and I speak on the behalf of the Google Wave team. I
can assure you that Google supports the Apache Wave proposal. We
always wanted to transfer ownership of the open source code to the
developer community and, with the discontinuation of development of
Google Wave as a standalone product, we accelerated our efforts to
spin this out in order to bring certainty to the developer community.
Apache Wave should stand on its own without concern for Google's
product strategies or priorities.

Nonetheless, please note that Google is looking at ways to continue
and extend wave technology in other Google products, specifically ways
for users to access waves through Google Docs. But Google only retains
the rights to the trademark "GOOGLE WAVE" and the wave design logo.
Hopefully, Google will become one of many happy customers of Apache
Wave.

Soren

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2010, at 6:06 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 20:47, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>> OK - Have they explicitly OK'd Apache Wave?  While Apache Wave would certainly
be unique to Apache, if Google intends to keep using Google Wave (and Wave as a shorthand)
this would get very confusing.

>> Don't you think that by proposing Wave to the Incubator that Google
>> has OK'd this?
>
> I don't work for Google and don't know the people proposing this so no, I have no idea
whether Google has OK'd this.  This is no different than someone taking an Apache project
out of the Attic and starting it somewhere else using the same name without Apache on the
front. IIRC we don't allow that.  I don't think this is paranoia but just approaching this
from the same set of rules that we use for our own projects.