incubator-general mailing list archives

From Soren Lassen <so...@google.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Accept Wave for incubation
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:40:18 GMT
Super. Thanks for bringing the trademark issue to our attention and
prompting us to add the Trademarks section to the proposal.

Soren

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Thanks. That answers my only concern. I think this would be a great addition.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Nov 23, 2010, at 7:56 PM, Soren Lassen <soren@google.com> wrote:
>
>> I work for Google and I speak on the behalf of the Google Wave team. I
>> can assure you that Google supports the Apache Wave proposal. We
>> always wanted to transfer ownership of the open source code to the
>> developer community and, with the discontinuation of development of
>> Google Wave as a standalone product, we accelerated our efforts to
>> spin this out in order to bring certainty to the developer community.
>> Apache Wave should stand on its own without concern for Google's
>> product strategies or priorities.
>>
>> Nonetheless, please note that Google is looking at ways to continue
>> and extend wave technology in other Google products, specifically ways
>> for users to access waves through Google Docs. But Google only retains
>> the rights to the trademark "GOOGLE WAVE" and the wave design logo.
>> Hopefully, Google will become one of many happy customers of Apache
>> Wave.
>>
>> Soren

certainly be unique to Apache, if Google intends to keep using Google Wave (and Wave as a
shorthand) this would get very confusing.

>>> I don't work for Google and don't know the people proposing this so no, I have
no idea whether Google has OK'd this.  This is no different than someone taking an Apache
project out of the Attic and starting it somewhere else using the same name without Apache
on the front. IIRC we don't allow that.  I don't think this is paranoia but just approaching
this from the same set of rules that we use for our own projects.