incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ISIS] Re: Conference call
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:16:04 GMT
I am nothing if not chronically disingenuous.

My first concern in responding here is a process concern. As far as I
can tell, the Incubator PMC has not formally voted to forbid the use
of real-time communications in podlings. Absent such a vote, the use
of these technologies is permitted, and it's up to the mentors to
guide, monitor, and ring alarm bells, as needed. All snark aside, my
primary concern here is to say, 'OK, I'm a mentor, and I've registered
these concerns, and I will endeavor to give satisfaction in the
discharge of my duties on this.' It seems to me that this should be
enough. If someone thinks that this is not enough, I wish that they
would open another thread in which they formally propose to impose
limits on the use of these technologies.

My second concern echos an oft-repeated point of JoeS's. The point of
the incubation process is to get podlings to act like TLPs as soon as
possible. Real Apache projects use real-time communications, within
the boundaries and limitations of the Foundation's policies. _Use_ of
these mechanisms is not, officially, a _bad_ habit. _Misuse_ is. So
podlings should start using it while they are podlings and can be
supervised.

Now, I can see Jim typing a response of 'but in the first two weeks?'

Well, it seems to me, and this is very much my personal opinion, that
the initial launch of a podling inevitably involves the close
collaboration of the founders. Nothing we do is going to make that go
away. Real-time is a two-edged sword here; it might exclude people
based on time zone or working style, but it might also allow new
people who are not part of the pre-existing founding community to get
into the thick of things more quickly.

As a mentor on this project, I recognize that there is some risk here
that a moment of convenience might lead to a bad habit that will need
to be cleaned up. If that happens, by all means, hang me out to dry
here. My personal intent is to stick with, 'OK, podling, I hear you
that you want to set up Skype calls. Those have community-management
risks, and you need to be extra-careful not to misuse them.'

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> Bad habits are hard to break, esp when done early... Comparing the
> behaviors of "TLP's in good standing" to new podlings seems
> disingenuous. I'm sure some seasoned automobile drivers drive
> with 1 hand on the wheel. Is that something you encourage or
> allow those with learner's permits to do?
>

> On Nov 22, 2010, at 9:31 AM, Glen Daniels wrote:
>
>> +1 as usual to Benson's extremely reasonable and pleasantly snarky viewpoint.
>>
>> While I do see the dangers of fragmenting the community, I think people often
>> go too far in downplaying the benefits of real-time communication.  Quick
>> back-and-forths can enable complex scenarios to be thought through in a much
>> more effective way than asynchronous emails, without the need to constantly
>> "page back in" in order to follow the discussion.  Simple misunderstandings
>> often can be cleared up in minutes instead of hours or days.  And the sense
>> of getting to know someone is often subjectively deeper in chat, and much
>> more so on a phone call.  These things all help move a project forward and
>> keep communities together.
>>
>> I feel like a bunch of people have a rather rigid "real-time BAD (well,
>> except ApacheCon), email GOOD" attitute, or at least come across that way on
>> email, and I'd like to make sure that the other side of it - i.e. "real-time,
>> when thoughtfully and appropriately integrated into a project, can provide
>> some deep value to the whole community" - isn't shuffled under the rug.  IMO,
>> we should be messaging about how to do it well if it's desired, not whether
>> or not to do it at all.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --Glen
>>
>> On 11/22/2010 8:56 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>>> As a mentor of ISIS, I'd like to ask everyone to give them a little
>>> breathing room on this subject.
>>>
>>> Many TLP's in good standing have active IRC channels. These have very
>>> closely related risks to open communities. Many TLPs in good standing
>>> hold in-person meetups from time to time.
>>>
>>> This is not to claim that the warnings in this thread are pointless.
>>> They are good warnings. However, it's the job of us mentors to help
>>> the community avoid the traps of Skype, IRC, meetups, co-workers, and
>>> the secret conspiracies of the trilateral commission, which works
>>> tirelessly to subvert Apache communities.
>>>
>>> If it makes anyone feel any better, I plan, as a mentor, to _avoid_
>>> the Skype calls, and so to maintain a perspective comparable to that
>>> of someone off-time-zone.
>>>
>>> --benson

communicate during long & lonely nights in front of the keyboard. And meeting the other
ISIS developers is difficult since the are spread around the globe.

Skype meeting to meet each other electronically assuming

and/or impose rules how to organize such a "come together".

seriously distracted by my two daughters on my lap)

We

somewhere. I don't
people involved :).

thanks for organising it.

> [...]