incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <andy.seabo...@epimorphics.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] real-time communications
Date Thu, 25 Nov 2010 12:10:14 GMT
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bdelacretaz@apache.org>  wrote:

>>> In the Jena team, several committers work in one office, I am one of the
>>> ones who doesn't - moreover, I am an 8hr time shift away. The real-time
>>> comms of the office chit-chat is simply a fact of life. I guess clarity
>>> about what the risks are and how we should address them would be useful...
>>
>> I think it just comes down to "everything must happen on the dev list"
>> and "make sure your project is open new people and outsiders".
>>
>> As long as anything that has a significant impact on the project is
>> discussed/decided on the dev list, and people who cannot attend the
>> out-of-list discussions do not feel left out, I think you'll be fine.
>>
>> -Bertrand

All project decisions I can recall for Jena have been whole-group.

The Jena committers are heavy email users and while
once-upon-a-long-time ago we did sometimes have F2F meetings (when we
were all in the same timezone, indeed same UK building) email was and is
the major means of communication.  As we are now a distributed team,
email has been the means of communication.  The one phone meeting we've
had was arranged (by email) precisely to include everyone possible
especially Jeremy.

In the past, I can remember stepping away from my desk for a few minutes
for coffee to come back to 10's of messages (bounced of a US server of
course) of Jena discussions between people a few feet apart.

	Andy