incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Accept Wave for incubation
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2010 23:57:28 GMT
On 11/23/2010 04:44 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Dan Peterson wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> We'd like to propose Wave for entry into the ASF incubator.
>>

> Did Google have any trademarks on Wave and are they allowing them to be transferred to
the ASF?

Certainly looks like they do have a trademark on "Google Wave", I don't
know if that affects this project though, since as far as I can tell,
it's changing names to "Wave in a Box" ?

     http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4008:1557ma.2.1

Also, it seems they have already granted a perpetual license for any
patents on the Wave protocol:

     http://www.waveprotocol.org/patent-license

I'm no lawyer, so no idea what all this means practically, but I think
it would be a good idea to clarify this in the proposal.

Cheers,

-- Leif