incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jeremy Carroll <jer...@topquadrant.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Accept Jena into the Incubator
Date Sat, 13 Nov 2010 01:45:55 GMT
On 11/12/2010 11:51 AM, Paolo Castagna wrote:

> Also (from the JenaProposal):
>
> "The Jena GRDDL Reader has some additional dependencies:
> http://jena.sourceforge.net/grddl/license.html"
>
> BrowserLauncher2 could be removed in favor of a much simpler approach
> (i.e. write it in a file!).

That is actually superseded by a Java6 facility, so I should do a small
piece of recoding and remove the dependency

> What other Apache projects do in a similar situation (i.e. you want
> to warn the user about some potential security issues and therefore
> you ask the user to actively agree, press a button, etc. to make sure
> the user reads it (I know, I know...))?

The GRDDL component runs XSLT from the Web, in a sandbox.
The HP lawyer who advised, understanding the risks of running 3rd party
code, wanted an explicit user action to agree to the BSD license terms,
to have a firmer leg to stand on if the the 3rd party code proved
malicious, and the sandbox inadequate.
(The browser launcher is used only for the click through agreement to BSD)

> Can someone comment/advise in relation to these two?
>
>  - http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.0.html (i.e. Saxon)

I noticed some other apache project with dependency on Saxon. Jena GRDDL
Reader uses it for XSLT2 support.

>  - http://jena.sourceforge.net/grddl/neko-LICENSE.txt (i.e. CyberNeko
>    HTML Parser)

which started life in Apache I believe