incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <andy.seabo...@epimorphics.com>
Subject Re: Clerezza, Stanbol, Jena, Semantic Commons, WDYT?
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:19:45 GMT
I haven't understood yet the relationship of Stanbol and Clerezza to be
able to say anything about how a commons area between those two systems
might work.  In terms of direct dependencies, does Stanbol just directly
depend on Clerezza and only indirectly on Sesame, Jena rdf2go and the
OWLAPI that the proposal lists?

Jena has two levels of API, the Model/Statement/Resource that
applications usually use, and the SPI Graph/Triple/Node thathe the
storage and inference layers plug into.  Roughly, speaking, the API
faces upwards to applications and the SPI downwards to components.
There is also the same design for the support for RDF datasets for
SPARQL.  SPARQL, especially SPARQL Update, works on quads for named graphs.

There are significant investments by users in uses of both API and SPI
and the cost of change for users isn't trivial.  Worse, the SPI is used
by systems that are distributed on making any change over messy. There
needs to be a real advantage to change.

Speaking personally, I'm not strongly motivated by a common API; I don't
think it helps the semantic web enough compared with other things I
could work on.  If others are working on one, I'll do what I can to make
my contributions work as smoothly as possible with that through
discussing what hooks and flexibility I can contribute to Jena to make
it work smoothly with other systems.

I'm not particularly worried about there being several APIs since that's
the state we're in and I don't see it changing particularly quickly
because there are large investments in deployed systems that exists.  As
some of these systems themselves are distributed onwards, chnage woudl
be slow.

Most of my contribution is storage and query which works at the lower
level anyway, so it has less effect on me but the SPARQL related parts
of the public APIs are mostly my fault. I am currently working on a
SPARQL 1.1 compliant server - the on-the-wire standardization is more
important.  Working on storage and query does result in a slight
obsession with efficiency - storage and query need to be tightly coupled
for performance.

Jeremy identified the IRI library as a potential contribution to a
commons area.  It is free-standing, and does not use or call any Jena
RDF code - it depends only on ICU4J (and JUnit + Jflex in the build).

The client-side content negotiation code in Jena could do with an
upgrade so if there is system-independent code that can be reused for
the systems here and more widely, that would be great.  I would use it
as I need to provide code-level access to for client SPARQL 1.1 access.

If nothing else, shared knowledge and expertise would move things along
faster, and even if functionality needs tying to specific systems,
having all the projects in Apache greatly helps community.

	Andy

PS Reto - GVS [*] isn't on the list of thing to contribute to Apache as
we're focusing on the core system that is used and we support.  But that
does not preclude including GVS either now or later.  It is covered by
our agreement-in-principle with HP.  Do you want to do that?

[*] Reto wrote a graph versioning system for Jena several years ago.