incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <andy.seabo...@epimorphics.com>
Subject Re: Clerezza, Stanbol, Jena, Semantic Commons, WDYT?
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2010 23:19:05 GMT

On 08/11/10 17:30, Ian Dickinson wrote:
> Hi Donald,
>
> On 08/11/10 17:01, Donald Whytock wrote:
>> Perhaps db.apache.org would be a better example?  Should there be a
>> semantic.apache.org?
> I looked around in db.apache.org and I couldn't see anything that said
> what the goals of that project are, separate from the goals of the
> individual sub-projects. Where should I be looking?
>
> As others have noted, the three semantic web-related projects currently
> being proposed have rather different objectives and provide different
> capabilities. I personally don't object in principle to factoring out
> common code or needs where that's useful, but +1 to Olivier: let's wait
> until a clear requirement is identified.

I agree.  I don't think that a "semantic" XYZ is useful if that makes
"semantic" some sort of different software.  Semantic web technology is
getting used more widely and a semantic commons or formal grouping of
projects risks creating the idea that it's all or nothing, which isn't
the case, hopefully.

	Andy