incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Possible migration of the JXTA P2P framework project to ASF
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 11:53:54 GMT
On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Jérôme Verstrynge <jverstry@gmail.com> wrote:

> We are working on getting the relicensing to 2.0. What do you mean by 'it
> allows sublicensing'? Would we, as a community, have the right to relicense
> this code?

IANAL, bring it to legal-discuss@

But a friendly observation; only the copyright owner has the right to
relicense. But ASL 1.1 allows "sub-licensing" within the terms and
conditions of the license. What that means is that you can license as
Apache License v2.0, but must follow all the conditions of 1.1, which
includes among other things, keeping the source headers which can be
unnecessary messy. Better to get the copyright owner to relicense to
2.0

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer