incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Celix to enter the Incubator
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2010 21:36:47 GMT
On 24 Sep 2010, at 17:28 , Marcel Offermans wrote:

> On 24 Sep 2010, at 17:21 , Richard S. Hall wrote:
>
>> I think this is interesting. However, I'd like to point out that you may need to
take care in how you position this. I believe the OSGi specs allow for compliant open source
implementations, but it is unlikely this implementation will ever be fully compliant. So,
you'd probably be best to just position it as a C-based module system that provides OSGi interoperability.

> Good point. I will get in touch with the OSGi Alliance to check with them how we should
call this, but I'm fine rephrasing it according to your suggestion. In any case I will report
back to the list when I get a response from them.

Following up on this, I talked to Peter Kriens of the OSGi Alliance at last week's OSGi Community
Event and his response was that it's basically not allowed to use OSGi in the name of a project
if it's the first word of a title, but otherwise he did not see any problems here. In fact,
there was talk during that event about maybe even extending the specification to allow implementations
in other languages. In the past, there has been some talk about this which resulted in a whitepaper
called "Universal OSGi". In other words, as far as I can see this is not going to be a problem.

Greetings, Marcel