incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jérôme Verstrynge <jvers...@gmail.com>
Subject Possible migration of the JXTA P2P framework project to ASF
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:11:49 GMT
  Hi,

My name is Jérôme Verstrynge and I am new to this mailing list. I am the
lead for the latest release of JXTA/JXSE (see jxse.kenai.com), the P2P
framework project initiated by Sun Microsystem in 2001. Although
JXTA/JXSE is still used by GlassFish, Sun has been reducing its
commitment to JXTA in the past 2 years. This project is now supported by
independant contributors from different companies only. Around 20 people
contributed to the last release. We have enough material to initiate a
new release process by the end of this year.

Our main pain point is the lack of quality and performance of Java.net
hosting. We have been investigating other solutions, including Kenai. To
make a long story short, we initiated a transfer to Kenai, but since the
Oracle aquisition, we have received no official confirmation about the
future of Kenai. We have received unofficial information about their
intentions, but in all cases, we should not expect something completely
operational before another year. Their initial commitment to support the
JXTA/JXSE transfert to Kenai is now systematically being postponed. We
experience that we are at the bottom of their priority list and they are
not capable of delivering upon their commitments.

We have started discussions about the future governance of the project
with our representative at Sun/Oracle. We will get definitive and
official answers about Oracle's intentions regarding JXTA/JXSE this
week. We anticipate they will end all commitments to the project.

One option is to move to ASF. Early discussions with our Oracle/Sun
representative revealed that Oracle won't block any fork of the project.
We are currently under a modified Apache 1.0 license and would consider
moving to the Apache 2.0 license. JXTA is a trademark from Sun/Oracle
and we are not sure we will be able to secure its usage.

I have been taking a look at ASF projects, including those in the
incubator, and I can't find any P2P related project. My first question
is: would ASF consider an application from the JXTA/JXSE community? The
purpose of this email is to establish a first contact with you guys.

This week, we will have a 'big' conference call with Oracle. Once
official information is communicated, we'll probably have a community
discussion followed by a vote about the future governance the JXTA/JXSE
project. I am anticipating that ASF will be given the priority, which is
why I send you this email.

Cheers,

Jérôme Verstrynge