incubator-general mailing list archives

From Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Quick project submission question
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2010 14:29:59 GMT
On 8 Sep 2010, at 15:13, Carl Trieloff wrote:

> What is the view of having a project in Apache that pulls substantial components
> that are licensed under ASL as dependencies into the code base. I.e. not coping the
> code, but using components that have been built and maintained elsewhere under ASL
> but used as dependencies for running.
>
> I assume this is not an issue, based in the info posted on use of licenses -- however
I'm
> interested in understand if others have had positive or negative experiences with such
> a case.

Hi Carl,

Wookie has been using Ivy[1] to pull in external dependencies as part of the build process.
It took a bit of initial effort to get right, but now works really nicely, and makes it much
easier to track external libraries and check their licenses are compatible.  You can also
distinguish between dependencies that are needed for development, for building, and for distribution
and downstream reuse. There is an Eclipse plugin for Ivy that works pretty well too.

The only vaguely negative thing I found was the initial challenge of getting the hang of how
Ivy works, but we had good help from other community members and from our mentors on that.

[1] http://ant.apache.org/ivy/

- Scott