incubator-general mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Change name of Lucene Connectors Framework to Apache Connectors Framework
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2010 12:32:32 GMT
Perhaps some clarification is in order, explaining where we are and how we
got here, and the procedures the podling followed to come up with the
current proposal.  I especially want to address the concern that we've been
ignoring the advice of the incubator.

Here is a short history, for those unfamiliar:

(1) Lucene Connectors Framework was voted into incubation in January of this
year, ostensibly as a future subproject of Lucene.
(2) At Lucene/Solr Eurocon, in May, Grant let it be known that in his (and
other people's) opinion, LCF was too broad to be properly just a Lucene
subproject, and that its status as a planned Lucene subproject would
probably need to change.
(3) In August, I was approached to write a book on this project, and I
realized that that would be very difficult to do if the name issue was not
settled.  Grant proposed that we simply go from LCF to ACF at that time, and
posted accordingly to this group.  He received several positive responses,
and only one that raised any concerns.  After a week's delay, we presumed
that all was well, and went ahead with an extensive renaming exercise.
(4) In late August, several folks from this list raised strong objections to
the name.  Our podling recognized that, and began gathering many suggestions
for names both descriptive and abstract.  It became apparent to me at that
time that the Apache community is actually quite strongly divided between
those who prefer abstract names and those who prefer descriptive ones.
Indeed, the Apache naming guidelines also play homage to both approaches.
(5) In early September, the gathered names were put to a vote on the
connectors-dev list.  The number of naming candidates was roughly 15, and
included descriptive names, abstract names, and animal names - the best we
could come up with in two weeks' worth of discussion.  Everyone on that list
was informed of the incubator concerns about descriptive names.  Everyone
was also informed that Apache is always the first part of the name.
Nevertheless, the final results still had Apache Connectors Framework as the
lead choice.  Given the informal response this choice had received before,
Grant chose to present it for a formal vote, with the understanding that
should it fail, we would then call votes on other high-scoring candidates
from the voted list.

Hope this helps.  If our procedures seem incorrect, please advise.

Karl