incubator-general mailing list archives

From Davanum Srinivas <dava...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Looking for a few more votes... Re: [PROPOSAL] Kitty to Enter the Incubator
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:51:41 GMT
+1 from me (binding)

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> So far I see 2 clear (binding) +1s for the proposal...
>
> Calling out for more ;)
>
> On Sep 7, 2010, at 8:29 PM, Matthew Sacks wrote:
>
>> Hello, Peary Chiu and myself would like to announce the Proposal for the Kitty, Production
Tomcat utility. Our proposal is as follows (we have also attached a PDF for convenience):

>> kitty, lightweight, Production-class Java application server performance diagnostic
& administration utility

>> Abstract
>>
>> A lightweight, production focused, Java-based application server performance diagnostic
and management utility

>> Proposal
>>
>>       • Provide a lightweight utility for managing Tomcat and Geronimo application
servers with powerful performance diagnostics and troubleshooting abilities primarily for
supporting Tomcat in production/high volume use.
>>       • (future) Provide support for all Java application servers
>>
>> Background
>>
>> The answer is simple, there is not a lightweight, command line administration utility
that can be utilized across open source application servers. There are many utilities which
have been created such as jmxsh, but they do not solve the problem of having a lightweight
administration / debugging client for troubleshooting these open source application servers
such as Apache Tomcat and Geronimo.

>> Rationale
>>
>> There needs to be a lightweight, administration client that targets production use
based on the experience of those administering Tomcat (and other open source Java application
servers) in high-volume, large scale production environments. Such an administration tool
will help further these open source application servers in production, large-installation
grade implementations and better support such “industrial-grade” use.

>> Initial Goals
>>
>> kitty is an existing open source project, with two contributors. We would bring in
more folks with experience in managing high-volume production Web sites to contribute to the
architecture of the kitty project. Currently we have two committers both with high-volume,
production Web experience. We’d also leverage feedback from the community in this context
and integrate that into the utility to provide a truly powerful management and performance
diagnostic utility for Tomcat/Geronimo and other Java application servers.

>> We will add common diagnostic hooks into the application as a first step, for example,
show available memory, threading problems, JDBC, and Web application diagnostic hooks.

>> The application will run in script mode (future) for automation purposes, or interactive
mode, so it can be used for ad-hoc troubleshooting.

>> Supported Platforms
>>       • Apache Tomcat 6.0+
>>
>> Future Support
>>
>>       • Apache Geronimo
>>       • All other Java application servers
>>
>> Known Risks
>>
>> Currently the application is coded in Jython. Jython makes a suitable fit for many
command-line administration tools. We plan on creating a pure, Groovy-based port of kitty
in the next few weeks, primarily for ease of compilation to Java classes.

>> We understand that developing this in Jython makes it faster to develop the utility,
but increases it’s complexity for compilation. We are in the process of converting the project
to Groovy to address this issue, within two weeks from the date of this proposal.