incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: new committers
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 02:38:50 GMT
Leaving my snarky remark aside, I can now analyze the disconnect in
question. I misinterpreted you as meaning that *any* mentor should be
able to do it, not that projects generally have at least one mentor
who can. In my defense, I read the tone of that web page as suggesting
that the people with enough access (whatever their visibility) are not
terribly numerous. So I thought a message to general was the most
efficient way to put a lit-up bat in the sky to attract someone.

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:

> On 02/09/2010, at 11:37 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>
>> The site says that only the PMC chair, the ex-PMC chairs, and a
>> shadowy underground of unnamed other individuals have access to grant
>> commit karma ... not arbitrary mentors. The site couldn't possibly be
>> inaccurate, could it?
>
> It's correct (the others with permission are infrastructure and the board, I'm not sure
which of those you believe to be a shadowy underground of unnamed other individuals :).

> Quite often there's an overlap in those groups and at least one of the mentors - or they'll
at least be able to ask someone to help them out.

> I may have misinterpreted your message - I thought you were looking for someone to do
all the incubator ones just created, but at least as far as I'm familiar with it, I thought
the podlings handled it with whomever they have available or can find.