incubator-general mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Role of Incubator PMC Votes
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2010 12:30:11 GMT
I'm watching the "renaming" vote thread and I find it odd that folks
are -1-ing the project's vote.  I've read the role of the IPMC[1] and
the policy[2] and can't find the basis for our (IPMC) doing anything
other than ack-ing they're vote.  It seems like votes from the IPMC
should only be relevant/binding when the matter in question is
release/legal/trademark/etc-type issues that could [legally] effect
the foundation.  I dunno, this seems purely a project matter to me
(like a logo, code, etc.) - second-guessing a project team on these
sort of subjective things seems counter-productive to grooming
self-sustaining projects to me.  So, is this normal - why does the
IPMC really get anything more than an "advising" role in these sorts
of matters (and why is that healthy)?

Thanks,
--tim

[1] - http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Incubator+Project+Management+Committee+%28PMC%29