incubator-general mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <>
Subject Re: No dev-, user- lists for small podlings (was: Re: [PROPOSAL] Kitty to Enter the Incubator)
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2010 22:07:27 GMT
  On 9/9/10 9:33 PM, James Carman wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Greg Stein<>  wrote:
>> The formation of your community is a BIG DEAL. Not something to
>> casually sweep under the rug.
>> Partitioning the community between users and devs makes it very
>> difficult to establish a large, viable, sustainable community.
>> If projects arrive at the Incubator with an already-built user
>> community, then sure. Create separate lists. But small communities
>> should (IMO) stick to a single dev@ list until you can't handle the
>> traffic any more. If you started elsewhere with two lists, but your
>> list traffic is still "small", then I would recommend combining them
>> when arriving at the Incubator.
>> It is obviously a call for each podling to make, so I'm simply
>> recommending that all podlings consider the impact of dividing your
>> community when you ask for separate dev/user lists. I believe it is
>> rarely appropriate.
> And I'm all about consistency.  Most (if not all, I haven't checked)
> ASF projects have separate user/dev lists.
We, at Directory, created the users mailing list 2 years *after* exiting
from incubation. Until then, we had mainly interaction with developers,
not users. Eventually, some of those early adopters became committers.
In fact, it's hard to get real users before the project is well established.

In restrospect, it was a damn good idea : having an empty user list
gives your potential users a bad feeling. Once you have enough real
'users' (quite unlikely if your project is just in incubation without an
installed base), then creating a separate list where you actually have
daily posts is good.

Consistency is one thing, being pragmatic is probably a better idea.

So +1 to Greg opinion.

my 2 cts...

Emmanuel L├ęcharny

To unsubscribe, e-mail: