incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [Alois] Setting up the podling
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2010 23:06:18 GMT
On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 06:15:10PM -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Is it sufficient if the employer of the contributors signs the Software Grant,
> > or is a grant required by every of the two developer?
>
> For a Software Grant, it must be signed by the entity with full rights to do
> so.  In this case, it seems that there is no single entity that can execute
> the Software Grant, so each person who has a copyright on the code needs to
> send one in.

If I understand correctly, then it would depend on the relationship between
the contributors and the employer whether the contributors had copyright
interest.  If the contributions were created as "works for hire", then
technically, I believe the contributors do not need to sign.  However, it
seems to me that if the contributors sign, all ambiguity is avoided with
regards to the employer-contributor relationship, so no dispute can arise
later.  We have a similar situation with the Lucy grant, and I've chosen to
include all individual contributors in addition to the employers.
Fortunately, everyone seems to be available and amenable.

The Alois folks will have to modify the SGA form.  The Incubator IP Clearance
page doesn't offer instructions on how to do so, but here's what I came up
with:

  https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12455744/kinosearch_sga.txt

All I did was duplicate the signature section under LICENSOR, creating one
entry for each party.  Hopefully that's legitimate, and the Alois one will be
as well.

Marvin Humphrey