incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Looking for a few more votes... Re: [PROPOSAL] Kitty to Enter the Incubator
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:11:20 GMT
So far I see 2 clear (binding) +1s for the proposal...

Calling out for more ;)

On Sep 7, 2010, at 8:29 PM, Matthew Sacks wrote:

> Hello, Peary Chiu and myself would like to announce the Proposal for the Kitty, Production
Tomcat utility. Our proposal is as follows (we have also attached a PDF for convenience):

> kitty, lightweight, Production-class Java application server performance diagnostic &
administration utility

> Abstract
>
> A lightweight, production focused, Java-based application server performance diagnostic
and management utility

> Proposal
>
> 	• Provide a lightweight utility for managing Tomcat and Geronimo application servers
with powerful performance diagnostics and troubleshooting abilities primarily for supporting
Tomcat in production/high volume use.
> 	• (future) Provide support for all Java application servers
>
> Background
>
> The answer is simple, there is not a lightweight, command line administration utility
that can be utilized across open source application servers. There are many utilities which
have been created such as jmxsh, but they do not solve the problem of having a lightweight
administration / debugging client for troubleshooting these open source application servers
such as Apache Tomcat and Geronimo.

> Rationale
>
> There needs to be a lightweight, administration client that targets production use based
on the experience of those administering Tomcat (and other open source Java application servers)
in high-volume, large scale production environments. Such an administration tool will help
further these open source application servers in production, large-installation grade implementations
and better support such “industrial-grade” use.

> Initial Goals
>
> kitty is an existing open source project, with two contributors. We would bring in more
folks with experience in managing high-volume production Web sites to contribute to the architecture
of the kitty project. Currently we have two committers both with high-volume, production Web
experience. We’d also leverage feedback from the community in this context and integrate
that into the utility to provide a truly powerful management and performance diagnostic utility
for Tomcat/Geronimo and other Java application servers.

> We will add common diagnostic hooks into the application as a first step, for example,
show available memory, threading problems, JDBC, and Web application diagnostic hooks.

> The application will run in script mode (future) for automation purposes, or interactive
mode, so it can be used for ad-hoc troubleshooting.

> Supported Platforms
> 	• Apache Tomcat 6.0+
>
> Future Support
>
> 	• Apache Geronimo
> 	• All other Java application servers
>
> Known Risks
>
> Currently the application is coded in Jython. Jython makes a suitable fit for many command-line
administration tools. We plan on creating a pure, Groovy-based port of kitty in the next few
weeks, primarily for ease of compilation to Java classes.

> We understand that developing this in Jython makes it faster to develop the utility,
but increases it’s complexity for compilation. We are in the process of converting the project
to Groovy to address this issue, within two weeks from the date of this proposal.