incubator-general mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Podling to use native git
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2010 12:23:27 GMT
On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 15:02 +0300, Enis Soztutar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the preparation phase for the recent Gora podling, I realized that the
> code needs be restructured to subversion layout. However, most of the
> developers here prefer the git way and will never use subversion except for
> committing the patches. So, I want to ask :
>
> - Does any other podling use git-only workflow. If so, did your project uses
> svn trunk/tags/branches layout?
> - I know that there was some discussion at infra-dev about native git
> repositories. Can we volunteer to be one?
> - The main Apache repository is subversion. But can we somehow skip it and
> directly use git.apache.org?
>
> Of course some of these questions should be asked at infra-dev, but I wanted
> to know if anyone has any XP with this.

Right now, Apache does not support native git repositories. SVN or SVN
with git-svn are your choices.

There are discussions ongoing to explore what might be involved to bring
git to the ASF as a principal repository, but there's going to be a lot
of work to do there, and it is not going to be immediate.

Upayavira