incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Lutterkort <lut...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Accepting patches in a podling
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2010 23:33:45 GMT
On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 04:22 +0200, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> FWIW, what Subversion uses:
>
> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/community-guide.html#patches
> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/community-guide.html#patch-manager
>
> Briefly, all patches go to dev@, and only the unlucky patches that
> were neither applied nor rejected get stashed in the issue tracker
> to avoid being dropped on the floor.

This seems a very workable approach - going through Jira for everything
is too much work on the part of the contributer. I'll use that as the
submission policy for Deltacloud from now on:

      * Patch submittes must have a CLA on file
      * Patches need to go to the dev@ list (and be ACK'd there)
      * In some cases, we might ask the submitter to put the patch into
        Jira (e.g., for large contributions)

Only tangentially related: is there a way to make subversion (especially
via git-svn) distinguish between a committer and an author ? That would
help keep the patch submission trail much more transparent.

David