incubator-general mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <g...@thoughtcraft.com>
Subject Re: Name change from "Lucene Connectors Framework" to "Apache Connectors Framework"
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 19:20:51 GMT
Gotta agree with David here.  I'd prefer a less ambiguous name.

--Glen

"David Jencks" <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

>As I attempted to politely make clear earlier I find this name extremely confusing.
Web connectors are just one subject area I assume this project covers.

>I think its generally a good idea if projects don't use their names to imply they are
the only apache implementation of a certain kind of functionality.  In this case it seems
to me that the name is implying that it is the official sole apache implementation of at least
two distinct kinds of functionality other than what it actually does. (web container connectors
of which mod_jk is an example and java connector architecture).  To be blunt I think this
is a really bad name and feels to me a bit like a land grab.

>thanks
>david jencks
>
>On Aug 23, 2010, at 11:38 PM, Simon Willnauer wrote:

>>> Looks pretty distinct to me.
>> I agree, the risk that people confuse those two seems very low.
>> Especially since the mod_jk has been around for a while and is usually
>> referred to as mod_jk and not as Tomcat Connector AFAIK but I can be
>> wrong about the latter.
>>
>> simon

Thankfully, I think most of our mailing lists, etc. are already "generic", so we shouldn't
really need to change much in terms of branding other than the primary website.

Framework", and

Apache

Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail.