incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Subversion full/partial committer (was: Re: an experiment)
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 22:45:54 GMT
I wish we had completed this discussion while subversion was still in
incubation, while the subversion community could learn the common
Apache terminology and have no need for translation of the terms.

Instead, a suggestion to that effect was brutally shot down.

And since it's apparently not clear what my point is, I'll repeat it:

Apache has a common set of terms that everyone who participates is
expected to understand. They are documented in the foundation "How we
work" pages.

Projects are free to have their own set of rules and terminology. If
they differ much from standard Apache governance, there's an
opportunity for them to have their own bylaws.

When communicating with the wider Apache community, the standard terms
are all that are needed. Parentheticals in such things as board
reports, which are widely disseminated, might seem useful early in the
project but are unnecessary very quickly. If they serve to clarify for
the wider community, ok. But if parentheticals' only purpose is
project communication, I believe that they are best avoided, as
project members should know the Apache terminology (before exiting
incubation).

Craig