incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Shiro graduation as TLP
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 23:03:48 GMT

On Aug 17, 2010, at 3:24 PM, Kalle Korhonen wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:09 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Dunno if it's exactly documentation but see this from Roy Fielding....
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-26?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12732740#action_12732740
>> Based on this I've been advising projects to put the apache LICENSE and and a NOTICE
file that covers the actual contents of svn (i.e. not including stuff that is added to binaries
as part of the build process) at expected svn checkout roots such as, here, http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/shiro/trunk.
>> I don't consider this a barrier to graduation..
>> +1
>
> Thanks (and for voting too!). Seems that I'm not only one who's been
> pondering about this. With 17 Maven sub-modules of Shiro seems that
> we'd need 17 copies of the license files scattered around our source
> tree. I'm with Stefano there: I do contest the view that svn is the
> release, but let's leave that for another thread.

Unless your 17 sub-modules are under separate release cycles I wouldn't consider them expected
svn checkout roots so one copy of the license at the root would be sufficient.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this policy.  On the one hand it's a nuisance to include
a LICENSE file in svn where it isn't part of an official apache release, thus possibly not
legally required, On the other hand I think that for most projects where there only a few
expected svn checkout roots it serves to greatly increase clarity and convenience for non-asf-pros
who happen to check out the source tree to have a quick look.  So on balance I think its a
good idea.

If you really want to torture yourself you can look up the discussion of this and related
issues on legal-discuss :-)

thanks
david jencks

> I'm watching the
> issue and perhaps I'll restore the LICENSE file on top of the tree.
>
> Kalle

in