incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: an experiment
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 18:02:15 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Are you trying to tell me that both jakarta and httpd have been in
violation
> of Apache bylaws all these years?

As as matter of fact, YES.

I can't speak for the HTTP Server situation, but in the case of Jakarta,
that was one of the reasons for breaking it up, along with pushing to make
every committer a PMC member.  Before that, Jakarta had allowed projects to
vote their own releases outside of the PMC, and that finally raised some big
red flags.  I remember that clearly, as I suspect would Serge and Danny.

> The fact that committers have no legal standing in this org means there is
> no reason a "decision" made about them needs formal approval by a PMC.
> Your reading of the corporate structure of this org is needlessly formal.

Giving them commit access has been deemed an action requiring a vote of the
PMC.  And sometimes the job description of a PMC Chair is

> Amongst current board members are the ex-chair of Jakarta and an ex-chair
> of httpd.  I would love to see you bring your concerns to the board about
> their past conduct regarding new committers.

No need.  Sam was part of the process of fixing Jakarta, and Roy was one of
the one's posting about the problem in Jakarta.

	--- Noel