incubator-general mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] NPanday to enter the incubator
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2010 15:21:09 GMT
Hi,

We have finalised the proposal with the additional committer and it has now been posted for
a couple of weeks, so I'd like to put it to a vote.

With the weekend included, I'll tally the votes after 5 days (120 hours).

Thanks,
Brett

---------------------

= Abstract =

NPanday allows projects using the .NET framework to be built with Apache Maven. NPanday allows
.NET projects to be converted into Maven projects thus allowing them to fully utilize the
other technologies driven by Maven.

= Proposal =

NPanday primarily provides two capabilities: a set of Maven plugins, for constructing builds
in Maven that use the .NET command-line tools; and a Visual Studio Addin that keeps a Visual
Studio project in sync with the Maven POM and adds reference resolution from Maven artifact
repositories. Together this allows you to use a single tool across .NET, Java or any other
Maven-based projects, including the same benefits of dependency management, automated release
and source control management.

= Background =

When building .NET projects traditionally you would use the built in components in Visual
Studio or compile the source code by hand in the command line using .NET frameworks. NPanday
gives an alternative building management option.

NPanday also allows developers to continue to build and develop .NET projects even without
the aid of Visual Studio.

= Rationale =

NPanday allows developers to still use the .NET Frameworks and technologies that they need
and at the same time allow their projects to be distributed and released with greater ease
using Maven's conventions. NPanday also helps those developers maintain and integrate their
project in a continuus integration that could host both Java and .NET projects.

= Initial Goals =

The initial goals for NPanday are:

 * Donate the existing codebase and import it.
 * Setup the incubation infrastructure (svn repository, build system, website) so we can run
continuous builds with automated testing and publish all available documentation and releases,
and migrate from Codeplex
 * Get people involved in advancing the code base in different directions, integrating it
with other projects at Apache.
 * Work closely with current contributors and seek to add new committers
 * Prepare for a point release that meets incubator and Apache criteria
 * Start active development on NPanday 2.0

= Current Status =

The current codebase is developed and tested in both .NET and Java. It was developed at Codeplex
for the last two years after originally being forked from the failed NMaven incubator podling.

We have a number of releases all of which have followed a clear transparent process. Documentation
for the project is currently available in http://www.npanday.org/docs/1.2/, which can be donated
and converted to the Apache NPanday website. The development team is currently using Codeplex
discussion forums as the primary colaborative process.

= Meritocracy =

Some of the core developers are already committers and PMC members at Apache, so they understand
what it means to have a process based on meritocracy.

NPanday has been operating under an Apache-like model since its inception.

= Community =

We've seen a number of new contributors joining the community recently.. Most of the community
members have found NPanday through searching for Maven in .NET and have donated their own
tweaks as they continue to consume NPanday. The community members have actively created issues
that are improving the behaviors and bugs in the current version.

= Core Developers =

The core development team started mostly with members from MaestroDev and has been recently
added with other independent developers. Most of the development team members have experience
in other Apache projects.

= Alignment =

The initial codebase came from NMaven in the incubator, and because of that and the Apache
committers involved it has always had an Apache development philosophy. It is designed to
work with Apache Maven, though has some value to anyone that can use a POM. We would also
like to reach out to other .NET-based projects at Apache.

= Known Risks =

The primary risk to growth is attracting .NET developers to the project.

Orphaned Products
There is already a growing community in existence and the members of the community are active
towards enhancing NPanday even more, including some existing Apache committers. NPanday has
also been advertised in the Philippines as a gateway for students and developers to get involved
in open source projects. There are no signs of the project being orphaned or abandoned, but
we realise that continuing to grow diversity of committers and traction among users will be
important to secure its future.

Homogenous Developers
The committers of NPanday are from at least 2 different companies, MaestroDev and Itemis.
NPanday also has contributors from other companies and are interested to be committers as
well.

Reliance on Salaried Developers
Although NPanday mostly consists of MaestroDev employees the work for NPanday is done on billed
time and non billed time.

= Initial Source =

NPanday has been in development within codeplex since 2008.

Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan

The contributions are from three sources:
 * the original (cleared) NMaven code
 * contributions by MaestroDev employees (will be covered under a software grant/CCLA)
 * contributions by active individuals (will submit CLAs)

We wish to explore whether we should import this picking up the NMaven history.

= Required Resources =

Mailing lists:
 * npanday-dev@incubator.apache.org
 * npanday-commits@incubator.apache.org
 * npanday-users@incubator.apache.org
 * npanday-private@incubator.apache.org

Subversion:
 * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/npanday

Issue Tracking:
 * JIRA: Apache npanday (npanday)

Wiki:
 * Confluence: Apache npanday (npanday)

Initial Committers
 * Marecor Baclay <mbaclay@apache.org>
 * Odea Ching <oching@apache.org>
 * Lars Corneliussen <lars@corneliussen.de>
 * Joe Ocaba <jocaba@maestrodev.com>
 * Adelita Padilla <apadilla@maestrodev.com>
 * Brett Porter <brett@apache.org>
 * Wendy Smoak <wsmoak@apache.org>
 * Craig Bachelor <craig.bachelor@gmail.com>

note: We also have a number of emeritus committers, and one that has been accepted but is
awaiting approval from their employer. They are not initially listed, but we expect that they
would be welcome back if available. The podling would vote on them as normal should that occur.

= Affiliations =

Brett Porter, Wendy Smoak, Odea Ching, Marecor Baclay, Joe Ocaba, and Adelita Padilla work
for MaestroDev, Lars Corneliussen works for Itemis and Craig Bachelor works independently.

= Sponsors =

We have approached both the champion and an initial list of mentors that have agreed to mentor
this project.

Champion:
 * Brett Porter

Mentors: