incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <>
Subject Re: an experiment
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 18:38:14 GMT
Hi Noel,

Thanks for your reply. Comments below:

>> From my point of view, it would be nice for podlings with active mentors
>> to be able to guide their own decisions, especially if there are 3 active
>> mentors and they approve. For example in our case in OODT, we can achieve
>> consensus and obtain much of the necessary VOTEs and oversight from our
>> mentors like Justin and Ian and myself.
> Well, that's sufficient, Chris.  There should be no "nice to have" aspect.
> The only requirement is that the PMC has the ability to oversee.  If we can
> streamline that process, great.

Yeah, I guess to me the PPMC* mentors should be fine to oversee without
double checking with the IPMC*. The podling mentors represent the IPMC* in
my mind and should be its shepherds, not those other IPMC* folks who aren't
participating in the day to day of the podling.

>> I'm not sure that teaching the podlings that once they do a committer VOTE
>> with the PPMC that they then have to do an IPMC vote after that is really
>> teaching them the Apache way b/c this isn't the way it'll work when they
>> graduate.
>> I think so long as there are active mentors shepherding the experienced
>> role on the project, then VOTEs at the PPMC level should be all that's
>> required.
> The problem is that the PPMC has no standing.  I keep telling people to stop
> using the term IPMC.  It is the Incubator PMC.  The terms IPMC and PPMC make
> them look somehow equivalent.

I guess that's what I take exception to, I think the PPMC* _should_ have
standing. I saw your other reply to Joe on this and the fact that you're
going to ask for clarification from the Board on seemingly a related
subject. Sounds good to me.

> Now, because you have 3+ PMC members in the project, those votes have
> standing, and suffice so long as the rest of the PMC is aware of and has the
> opportunity to exercise oversight.

Yeah, like I said, to me, podling mentors = IPMC* oversight, so if 3+
mentors approve, then that should be it IMHO.

* I'm still using PPMC and IPMC b/c that's what the docs call them [1].

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246

To unsubscribe, e-mail: