incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Subversion full/partial committer (was: Re: an experiment)
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 23:35:25 GMT

On Aug 19, 2010, at 11:25 AM, Greg Stein wrote:

> ----
> ** Community
>
> Since our last report, in May, we have added two more committers.
> These are "partial" committers, meaning they are restricted to certain
> portions of the tree. The first, artagnon, is a GSoC student for
> Git(!) and is adding a new "svnrdump" client-side tool to produce or
> load Subversion dump files remotely (eg. for fast-loading into Git).
> The second, stefan2, is working on a branch with a broad set of
> performance improvements across the system.
>
> No new PMC Members ("full committers") have been added.
> ----
>
> As you can see, we aren't trying to foist new terminology on anybody.
>
> I continue to believe that the terminology used in our report is fine.
> The Board showed no concern during the meeting. This ruckus seems
> quite overblown.
>
> Cheers,
> -g

This seems fair enough. In practice what you are doing is not much different than commons
restricting committers to the sandbox, or when I got access to logging I was restricted to
Log4j 2.0, not the current trunk.  so I have no problem with the practice of granting restricted
or partial access.  I've just never seen the term "partial" committer before and certainly
never used "full committer" to be analogous to a PMC member.  Cocoon follows the same practice
of making someone a PMC member when they are offered commit access, but we have still always
announced them as a new committer and then invited them to also be on the PMC.  We've also
run into a couple of cases where we invited someone to be on the PMC due to their contribution
to the community but they didn't really need commit access.

Ralph