incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: When a committer leaves ...
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 05:13:26 GMT

On Aug 23, 2010, at 6:44 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> Could I shake an opinion out of anyone else here? I'm having trouble
> wrapping my intuition around,
>
> "Person X sent email saying, I'm not going to participate any longer.'
> but we're going to keep him on the committer list anyhow."

The committer list at graduation should not include folks who have
removed themselves from the project.

> I would
> further expect that the initial PMC would consist of people who
> answered positively to an email on the subject.

Folks who have contributed during the project and want to continue in
the governance of the project should form the initial PMC. Often this
will be the PPMC members (including any Mentors who want to stay
involved).

> If everyone else
> agrees with Luciano and Niclas I'll sit down.

Craig

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>> Luciano,
>>>
>>> A River committer has indicated a lack of interest in remaining
>>> involved. Emeritus status seems overkill in a podling, but that's
>>> just
>>> my opinion. Since this is an active expression of dis-interest, the
>>> 'how long' question seems not too relevant to me.
>>>
>>> As part of cleaning them up for graduation, based on my experience
>>> back on CXF, I'm thinking that it would be good to trim the
>>> committer
>>> list by at least removing people who actively aren't interested.
>>
>> I think that the committer list could very well remain without
>> trimming as it will be a decent record of past contributors, and that
>> the effort is put into "Who is going to be on the PMC if/when a
>> podling graduate?" which is effectively the "current stewards of the
>> codebase".
>>

>> Cheers
>> --
>> Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer