incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <>
Subject Re: RAT can be dangerous
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 09:15:30 GMT
Ross, while I understand the "All it does" part I don't get the
"dangerous" part.

I think noone has ever announced RAT as a solution. It is a helper
tool. I think the recommendation to use RAT (for what it offers) is
just plainly right. Nothing more - nothing less.

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Ross Gardler <> wrote:
> I'm really worried about the growing meme that RAT is solving the IP management problem.
> It is not a solution, it is merely a tool that is useful for a very specific use case.
> All it does is do a pattern match for an Apache licence header in a bunch of files. It's
really useful for checking the proper licensing of our source files.