incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject River status
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:17:07 GMT
There's a very satisfying buzz of activity at River these days. My
fellow mentors would like to see more actual commits, but I'm an
optimist.

This leads me to open this thread, more as a general exploration of
the PMC's view of the exit process than anything else.

Before I joined the incubator PMC, I saw sporadic conversation on
members@ about 'failure to launch --' projects that just seem to hang
around the incubator for a long time. They don't collapse, and they
don't exit. From the looks of it, River might well have been a subject
of that conversation for quite some time.

One possible view is that a project should be graduated, aggressively,
when it has a community which has a demonstrated willingness and
ability to model Apache behavior. IP management, good community
management on the mailing lists, and, at least, a small core of active
participants.

Other views look like they call for a larger hubbub of activity and commits.

I offer the following trial balloon: The ASF has invested a whole lot
of time and energy in River to date. As of right now, they look better
than some TLP's I've met. Killing them makes no sense to me, and
keeping them 'on probation' has its own issues, since we all know that
many people in the outside world treat podlings as having a sort of
black smudge on their batting average. if they keep this up for a
month or so, let's graduate them and move on.