incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Subversion full/partial committer (was: Re: an experiment)
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 18:19:14 GMT
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 13:29, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
>> No way would the Board (nor you) allow arbitrary terminology across
>> projects even if it is "parentheticals" (whatever that means).
>
> As far as I'm concerned, the participants are Committers.  There is no need
> to distinguish between them other than access rights in the SVN ACLs.
> Partitioning ACLs is really nothing more than infrastructure enforced
> behavior to make the PMC's required oversight task a bit safer (people who
> shouldn't be changing something can't).  ACLs are controlled by each PMC,
> and represent infrastrucure enforcement of resource rights within the
> specific Community.  As long as the Community is healthy and accepting of
> its own structure, I see no need to attack differences that aren't harmful.

Actually, we don't use ACLs at all. We simply tell them "only commit
in your designated area". We haven't ever had a problem with that
approach.

Even better: if the committer gets a +1 on a patch from somebody with
"full" access, then they can go ahead and commit outside their area.
It makes it very easy when the contributors can commit their own
patches :-)

Cheers,
-g