incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: an experiment
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:21:44 GMT

On Aug 11, 2010, at 10:45 AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> The first idea should be fairly straightforward: that for
> the projects I participate in (so far thrift and sis), that
> the IPMC delegates to the PPMC the decision-making process
> for voting in new committers: basically rolling back the clock
> to May 1, 2007 on guides/ppmc.html.

Before we set ourselves up for disappointment based on unrealistic
expectations, this proposal is fairly modest. Here's the current
process for getting new committers into an incubating project:

1. Identify candidates
2. Discuss candidates on podling-private
3. Agree that candidate should be a committer
4. Vote on podling-private
5. Wait for everyone's vote
6. Inform incubator PMC of results of vote
7. Vote in incubator PMC if not all three mentors have voted
8. Invite committer
9. Send ICLA
10. Wait for ICLA registration
11. Send root request for committer
12. Wait for root to create account
13. Update asf authorization file for new account
14. Done

All this proposal does is to eliminate step 7 in the case where the
Mentors are AWOL.

That said, I support the idea behind this modest proposal, and just
need to see the details (several modifications have been proposed).
Infra also needs to support this proposal, as the main reason for item
7 is to get root to recognize that the incubator PMC has taken
official action (three votes in favor of a new committer) which has
been an infrastructure requirement (also part of the details).

Craig

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo