incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: an experiment
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:20:41 GMT

On Aug 16, 2010, at 2:52 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Presumably there was no valid basis for the -1?  Sucks, but Joe's proposal
> doesn't change the fact that any PMC Member can still vote on any project.
> The ASF does not have subprojects, there is only one PMC.  We have gone
> through this with Jakarta and XML over those issues.

IIRC, the issue involved the notion of "partial committers" in subversion -- http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/roles.html#committers
There were objections over the notion of "partial committers", not about the individual.

I don't view subversion as a particularly good motivating example of why the Incubator is
or is not broken. Subversion was unique from the very beginning...

In general, I agree with in Noel... Would add that IMO, incubator oversight has helped release
processes (and general foundation knowledge) for many projects, not just those who have been
through incubation...

--kevan