incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Name change from "Lucene Connectors Framework" to "Apache Connectors Framework"
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2010 16:15:00 GMT

On Aug 27, 2010, at 5:22 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2010, at 5:55 PM, Upayavira wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 06:41 +1000, Gav... wrote:
>>> I think the title of the name change is a little misleading.
>>>
>>> We are not Replacing 'Lucene' with 'Apache' .
>>>
>>> Apache is a given.
>>>
>>> IOW - The proposal is either:
>>>
>>> Change "Apache Lucene Connectors Framework" to "Apache Connectors Framework"
>>>
>>> or:
>>>
>>> Change "Lucene Connectors Framework" to "Connectors Framework"
>>>
>>> It should therefore be clear that the only change being proposed here is the
>>> 'dropping' of the word 'Lucene' due to the fact that Lucene is no longer its
>>> governing TLP.
>>
>> But people aren't going to be thinking about governing TLPs when making
>> assumptions about a name.
>>
>> Does this project actually relate to Lucene or not? Apache Connectors
>> Framework tells me it is either a generic connectors framework for
>> connecting anything to anything, or it is for connecting httpd to
>> something else, neither of which I suspect are what it is all about.
>>

> It is, perhaps, worthwhile to give a brief description about the project, taken from
the website:
> <snip>
> The Apache Connectors Framework (ACF) is an effort to provide build and support an open
source framework for connecting source content repositories like Microsoft Sharepoint and
EMC Documentum, to target repositories or indexes, such as Apache Solr. ACF also defines a
security model for target repositories that permits them to enforce source-repository security
policies.

> Currently included connectors support FileNet P8 (IBM), Documentum (EMC), LiveLink (OpenText),
Patriarch (Memex), Meridio (Autonomy), Windows shares (Microsoft), and SharePoint (Microsoft).
Also included are a general file system connector, a general JDBC connector, a general RSS
crawler, and a general web crawler. Currently supported targets include Apache Solr and QBase
(formerly MetaCarta) GTS. The complete repository compatibility list can be found here.
> </snip>
>
> While it supports targets for Solr, it is not a Solr/Lucene only thing.  The framework
intends to be a generic connector framework such that if someone implements the source and
the sync according to the framework design, it will work.

> FWIW, as was pointed out on the connector mailing list, there are also many other generic/descriptive
names in Apache (disregarding the granddaddy of them all: HTTP Server, which I realize, of
course, is a different story):  HttpComponents, OpenWebBeans, TrafficServer, Web Services,
XML, XMLBeans, XML Graphics, Directory, Logging, OpenEJB, OpenJPA, Portals, Perl, TCL.
Perhaps we should call it the Open Connector Framework?  Or maybe if we remove the spaces,
as in OpenConnectorFramework, then we are good?

Of those at least Web Services, XML, Logging, and Portals are sort of psuedo-projects that
aggregate related little projects in that area.  Along with the OpenFoo family there's the
ActiveFoo family :-).

For me as a know-nothing outsider the suggestion of Content Connector Framework pointed me
a bit towards what it does.  OpenContentConnectorFramework is descriptive but a bit long.
 OpenCCF?

To try to illustrate my thinking rather than push a name down your throat...
Open ConnectorFramework/OpenConnectorFramework/OpenCF  OK, since you've added a branding word.
 Not ideal since the purpose appears overly broad
Content Connector Framework/ContentConnectorFramework/CCF OK, since you've clarified the scope.
 Not ideal since has no branding word.
OpenContentConnectorFramework/OpenCCF better since it clarifies the scope and includes a branding
word.

thanks
david jencks