incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Name change from "Lucene Connectors Framework" to "Apache Connectors Framework"
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2010 17:26:13 GMT
Mmmm...some good ones there - I like manifold :)

> It seems to me that the pivotal problem here is the word connector. On
> the one hand, it could mean almost anything to almost anyone. On the
> other hand, it has a specific denotation in the vicinity of httpd.
> Everything at Apache is in the vicinity of httpd.
>
> I'd offer the following 'made-up' options, all following Apache:
>
>   - manifold  (many connections)
>   - omnivore (eats anything)
>   - rapunzel (spins straw into gold)
>   - diogenes (seeking for something)
>   - lantern (ditto)
>   - helium (fuel for Solr)
>
> The whole question of brand management strikes me as interesting: is
> it, in fact, the job of the incubator PMC to groom the Apache branding
> portfolio by guiding new projects towards better names? Is that in our
> charter, or should we, as Chris suggests, defer to someone else for
> problems in this area.
>

> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
> <chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> If I may: since we're discussing marks, why not post to trademarks@ and ask Shane
and crew to weigh in? Maybe you have already, but if so, I haven't seen that discussion mentioned
over here on general@incubator.

>> Thanks!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chris
>>

>> On 8/30/10 10:03 AM, "Grant Ignersoll" <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>> On Aug 27, 2010, at 12:15 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>>> To try to illustrate my thinking rather than push a name down your throat...
>>> Open ConnectorFramework/OpenConnectorFramework/OpenCF  OK, since you've added
a branding word.  Not ideal since the purpose appears overly broad
>>> Content Connector Framework/ContentConnectorFramework/CCF OK, since you've clarified
the scope.  Not ideal since has no branding word.
>>> OpenContentConnectorFramework/OpenCCF better since it clarifies the scope and
includes a branding word.

>> So, the word "open" somehow alleviates your concern?  I don't get that.  If your
objection is that it comes across as being _the_ Apache connector library, then how does "Open"
modulate that?  It's still the Apache Open Connector Framework.  It's still descriptive and
still implies it's the one.  Besides, it's the ASF, isn't "Open" implied/redundant?  We would
never have the Apache Closed Connector Framework, right?

>> Likewise, the word Content implies the same "only" status, albeit here I will give
you that it distinguishes it from Tomcat Connector somewhat, although the Tomcat Connector
is just that, the Tomcat connector.  However, I still don't buy that it is a "branding" word.
 Content is pretty much meaningless.  Everything is content.  I have no doubt that we could
write a plugin for ACF that connected to Tomcat and got Content out of it.  Heck, we already
do. It's called a web crawler.

>> So, that leaves us, in my mind w/ the option of some made up name or we stick w/
ACF.  I'm all for a made up one if someone comes up with one, I just don't know what it is
and no one in the community seems to have one either.  ACF fits and the community likes it.
 It's not unprecedented at the ASF and I don't think it is confusing with Tomcat Connector.

>> At any rate, the community would like some resolution.  Should I just call an official
vote on ACF and if it loses then we will go back to the drawing board?