incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Need some clarity on a small size code donation
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 12:27:15 GMT
Over on the Clerezza project I've been asked some advice about a legal
situation that I'm not 100% sure about, I'm pretty sure it's a simple
case so I'm asking the IPMC rather than legal-discuss@

In short:

- there is a few files that are part of an existing FOAF+SSL
certification project (BSD licence) that Clerezza would like to include
with some minor modifications (it's a complete unit of functionality,
not just a small patch).

- the copyright holder (University of Manchester) may consent to
submission to the ASF under the terms of the CLA - but depending on what
level of approval is needed this could take time, so we are wondering if
it is necessary in this case since it is already BSD licensed.

My questions are:

Would it be acceptable to just include the file with the BSD licence and
copyright headers since they are license compatible.

If not..

Would we require a CCLA from Manchester or would an iCLA be sufficient
(at this point I'm unclear if the code is written by the developer
working with the Clerezza team or by someone else at Manchester).

Advice on the best way to proceed would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Ross