incubator-general mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Shiro graduation as TLP
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 23:09:12 GMT
  On 8/18/10 12:24 AM, Kalle Korhonen wrote:
> <snip/>
> I'm with Stefano there: I do contest the view that svn is the
> release,
You can contest, but the fact is that a release is just a revision in
the SVN trunk, not a package you deliver, AFAIU. I suggest that you read
carefully this : http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what
and more specifically the last paragraph :

" The Apache Software Foundation produces open source software. All
releases are in the form of the *source materials* needed to make
changes to the software being released. In some cases, binary/bytecode
packages are also produced as a convenience to users that might not have
the appropriate tools to build a compiled version of the source. In all
such cases, the binary/bytecode package must have the *same version
number* as the source release and may only add binary/bytecode files
that are the result of compiling that version of the source code release"

In other word, the release *is* the SVN revision that has been voted.

> but let's leave that for another thread. I'm watching the
> issue and perhaps I'll restore the LICENSE file on top of the tree.
Please do. If you are not convinced by the complex wording used by the
Apache site, just have a look at every ASF project, you will see that
the LICENSE file is present in each trunk and tag.

It's also explicitly written on
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice.

At least, I would suggest that you restore the file, then discuss the
rationale for this file being present or not on another thread:)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,