incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: an experiment
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:57:48 GMT
On 17/08/2010 05:32, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Ross Gardler<rgardler@apache.org>  wrote:
>> I've already decided that I'm going to have to recruit a number of key
>> mentors to help me protect the project during incubation.
>
> Historically, I think there are two classes of podlings:
>   - one which has a self-governing community and just needs to get
> indoctrinated in the "Apache Way" (SpamAssassin, Subversion, etc.)
>   - one which doesn't have a self-governing community (thrift, traffic
> server, etc.)
>
> Perhaps Greg is on to something with having us split up the process.
> It's always bugged me that there were two different classes that we
> tried to shoehorn into one process.
>
> Accordingly, in these two models, the role of the mentor is very different:
>   - self-governing community: making sure they get introduced to the
> right people and understand the minimum requirements; but, really,
> they shouldn't interfere with the actual day-to-day governance.
>   - no self-governing community: helping the developers understand what
> it means to self-govern.

Yes, I agree.

I'm not, for example, interested in Wookie moving to either of the
current proposals. Our mentors are providing enough oversight and the
community is not unhealthy, it just needs to learn to bring even more
into the open. This takes time, experience and exposure. We can't brow
beat people into doing this, we just have to give them time to find the
right balance and attract new committers.

On the other hand the next project I hope to bring in already has a
vibrant community, it's just struggling to find diversity. The neutral
ground and legal oversight the ASF provides is likely to help
considerably here.

I don't agree that the incubator is broken, only that it can be improved.

Ross