incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: an experiment
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 01:45:36 GMT
  On 08/16/2010 07:30 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> That is not the message that we get from most participants, but if that is
> the case, then let's fix it.

As I mentioned in a previous post,  the main problem we (ATS) had was to
get enough binding votes. Even from the IPMC we failed one release vote
due to lack of votes (there were no -1's, just not enough +1's), and
several times did I have to beg to get votes for a committer addition
(all our committer votes had to be voted on in the IPMC, to get binding
votes). We were however extremely fortunate to have the active support
of several Apache old-timers, who stepped up and helped us push through
the process, and they were a huge reason why we could graduate as
quickly as we did.

That other thing that surprised me was that there was no "exit review"
process out of incubation. Meaning, I would have expected each
graduating project  to provide some sort of feedback or evaluation  to
the IPMC, to help improve the incubation process incrementally. Yes, I
know we can all just post to general@ (or private@), but it seems that
having a more official exist review of the project and its incubation
experience would be helpful. This would give feedback  to the IPMC
(Sponsor), as well as  Mentors and Champion,  about what worked, and
what didn't.

-- Leif