incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Name change from "Lucene Connectors Framework" to "Apache Connectors Framework"
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 19:00:35 GMT
As I attempted to politely make clear earlier I find this name extremely confusing.   Web connectors
are just one subject area I assume this project covers.

I think its generally a good idea if projects don't use their names to imply they are the
only apache implementation of a certain kind of functionality.  In this case it seems to me
that the name is implying that it is the official sole apache implementation of at least two
distinct kinds of functionality other than what it actually does. (web container connectors
of which mod_jk is an example and java connector architecture).  To be blunt I think this
is a really bad name and feels to me a bit like a land grab.

thanks
david jencks

On Aug 23, 2010, at 11:38 PM, Simon Willnauer wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:36 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 21, 2010, at 6:30 AM, Pid * wrote:
>>
>>> Isn't there a risk of causing confusion with the Apache HTTPD mod_jk /
>>> Tomcat Connector?
>>
>> Looks pretty distinct to me.
> I agree, the risk that people confuse those two seems very low.
> Especially since the mod_jk has been around for a while and is usually
> referred to as mod_jk and not as Tomcat Connector AFAIK but I can be
> wrong about the latter.
>
> simon

I think most of our mailing lists, etc. are already "generic", so we shouldn't really need
to change much in terms of branding other than the primary website.