incubator-general mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: an experiment
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 21:29:55 GMT
----- Original Message ----

I'm actually not in favor of that idea because relatively few
mentors are active developers in their projects (I'm certainly
in that category).  Part of what I'm trying to teach is that
self-governance requires active participants to be making the
critical decisions.

OTOH I would be perfectly OK with the idea that a mentor must
file the account request, or more simply must submit an ACK request
regarding the vote to either general@incubator or private@incubator.

> > The second idea is more controversial: to hold IPMC votes to
> >  admit all significant committers to those projects to the IPMC
> >  itself.  The purpose of this concept is to allow those who
> > best  know the codebase to provide IPMC oversight over it,
> > especially as it  pertains to releases.
>
> Would still like this to be an opt-in, where any  existing PMC member
> interested in helping with the Incubator could request  membership and be
> added after 72 hours (expanding ASF member rules to apply  to all PMC
> members.)

Are you referring to ASF members here?  PMC members themselves who
are not ASF members must be voted in by the IPMC to gain IPMC membership.
ASF members interested in IPMC membership need only notify the chair
of their intentions.  I don't expect any of that to change with what
I'm proposing.

>  For committers (non-PMC members), I'd want an  existing IPMC
> or PMC member nominate the person to the IPMC and require a  72hr lazy
> consensus, since IPMC members are expected to mentor and teach  new
> podlings about the Apache way.

I would expect a more formal process of consensus voting for IPMC
membership in the case of a podling committer, ie 3 +1's and no
vetoes.  The vote would be held on private@incubator naturally.