incubator-general mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Shiro graduation as TLP
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 23:15:43 GMT
----- Original Message ----

Bzzt. The release package may contain files not found in svn. See httpd
releases for examples.  That is why the document you referenced avoids
discussion of svn; it's the actual tarball that counts.

> > but let's leave  that for another thread. I'm watching the
> > issue and perhaps I'll restore  the LICENSE file on top of the tree.
> Please do. If you are not convinced by  the complex wording used by the Apache
>site, just have a look at every ASF  project, you will see that the LICENSE file
>is present in each trunk and  tag.
>
> It's also explicitly written on
>http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice.
>
> At least, I would  suggest that you restore the file, then discuss the
>rationale for this file  being present or not on another thread:)

The reason it's good to have the LICENSE and NOTICE file appear in the
base of any reasonable svn checkout is because svn is a distribution
point for developers, so having license info about the collected work
(represented by an svn checkout) appear in expected places is important.